Thursday, May 24, 2012

They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but actually coincidence is the sincere fact that going with Helvetica as a font is always a safe option.

It is typography's version of a pair of Levis 501's, or little black dress. Classic. Timeless.

When I was designing my letterhead years ago, I decided to remove all stress (I can't begin to explain how stressful designing one's own letterhead is) by simply going with Helvetica. But that seemed too dull. Too corporate.

So I thought, I'll just make it goofy and quirky by colouring it in like a pack of lifesavers. Not cool. But not dull either. Ah yes. Good. Job done in ten minutes. Stress over.

But now that I've seen that Cinecitta has done the same thing as me, I feel as though perhaps I may actually have mistakingly done something cool. Oh to be associated with anything Italian. Ok, not anything. I would never wish to metaphorically be associated with their political problems.  But Italian design? Oh dear lord, yes please! All Italian design is sublime. I lived in Italy for a while, and even worked once at Cinecitta. Even the gaffer is wearing Armani.

No comments: